RARA-AVIS: Re:The Long Goodbye

From: Shannon Clute (clute@noircast.net)
Date: 13 Jul 2008

    I couldn't agree with you more, mrt. I think the level of attention he gave every aspect of this novel, from plotting (which may seem loose at first, but has a dream-like coherence) to character development, is unsurpassed in his work or that of any other writer. The title seems intentional, and I think he gave it his all because he intended the novel to be his swan song. He was encouraged by friends (and agents) to pick up the pen again, in part to get him out of his funk, but everything from this point on reads like his heart wasn't in it. I don't know if he "spoiled the PI novel" for every writer who came after, but he did set the bar (almost) impossibly high.

    Shannon

      Once again, circumstances (scarcity of reading material) forced me to
      reread this Chandler novel, which some of you may have heard about
      (and there is an obscure, little-discussed movie of it, too).

      Well, what can I say. It's fucking brilliant, or should I say
      "nutting" brilliant, since the nuts are now apparently non-television
      material. I used to prefer The Big Sleep to the other Chandler novels,
      but now I have to rank TLG at the top. Chandler was in sensational
      form here. Too bad he wrote nothing good after this masterpiece. He
      really did spoil the classic PI novel for every writer who came after him.