RARA-AVIS: The Long Goodbye

From: jacquesdebierue (jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 12 Jul 2008

    Once again, circumstances (scarcity of reading material) forced me to reread this Chandler novel, which some of you may have heard about
    (and there is an obscure, little-discussed movie of it, too).

    Well, what can I say. It's fucking brilliant, or should I say
    "nutting" brilliant, since the nuts are now apparently non-television material. I used to prefer The Big Sleep to the other Chandler novels, but now I have to rank TLG at the top. Chandler was in sensational form here. Too bad he wrote nothing good after this masterpiece. He really did spoil the classic PI novel for every writer who came after him.

    On the nuts situation, check out:

    http://wonkette.com/401035/news-anchors-cannot-say-nuts-on-air-hilarity-ensues

    And don't forget Marlowe's classic "Nuts to you"... you couldn't say it on television. It's all going to the dogs, folks. It's surreal.

    Best,

    mrt