Re:Hollywood noir (was Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: WHACKED by Jules Asner)

From: Patrick King (abrasax93@yahoo.com)
Date: 11 Jul 2008

    --- On Fri, 7/11/08, JIM DOHERTY <jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com> wrote:

    And how about such fictionalized depictions of movie starlet Elizabeth Short's murder as Ellroy's THE BLACK DAHLIA and Collins's ANGEL IN BLACK (to say nothing of our own Jack Bludis's SHADOW OF THE DAHLIA)?

    I always wonder when people talk about fictionalized accounts of the Black Dahlia why very few mention probably the best executed and thought provoking of these novels, John Gregory Dunne's TRUE CONFESSIONS. Dunne's novel explores more about the politics of law enforcement in Los Angeles than any other books I've read including Ellroy's. When police move the body of a priest who died of a heart attack in a brothel, to his car in a shopping mall to avoid embarrassing local Catholic authority, we consider how truth may be dealt with by law enforcement and probably not just in LA.

    Patrick King