Re:Hollywood noir (was Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: WHACKED by Jules Asner)

From: JIM DOHERTY (jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 11 Jul 2008

    Mark,

    Re your response to other's comments, particularly Mario's below:

    "I am waiting for Michael Connelly, master of suspense, to apply himself to Hollywood (I mean directly as a theme)."

    that it:

    ". . . raises an interesting question: What are the great hardboiled and/or noir Hollywood novels?"

    Chandler's THE LITTLE SISTER, with a romance between a movie comedienne and an organized crime figure (possibly inspired by the purported relationship between Thelma Todd and Lucky Luciano?) at its center, should certainly be mentioned.

    And, as for Connelly, why doesn't his own riff on THE LITTLE SISTER, LOST LIGHT, in which Harry Bosch, during his PI period, investigates a murder growing out of an armed robbery at a movie set, count as applying himself to Hollywood "directly as a theme?"

    And how about such fictionalized depictions of movie starlet Elizabeth Short's murder as Ellroy's THE BLACK DAHLIA and Collins's ANGEL IN BLACK (to say nothing of our own Jack Bludis's SHADOW OF THE DAHLIA)?

    JIM DOHERTY