RE: Hollywood noir (was Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: WHACKED by Jules Asner)

From: Brandt Dodson (bldodson@roadrunner.com)
Date: 09 Jul 2008

    LA Confidential?

    Brandt

    www.brandtdodson.com <http://www.brandtdodson.com/>

      _____

    From: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com [mailto:rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net Sent: Wednesday, July 09, 2008 5:06 PM To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Subject: Hollywood noir (was Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: WHACKED by Jules Asner)

    Mario wrote:

    "I am waiting for Michael Connelly, master of suspense, to apply himself to Hollywood (I mean directly as a theme)."

    And John replied:

    "and I like reminding people who haven't read them, that Terrill Lankford's terrific contemporary noir thrillers Earthquake Weather and Blonde Lightning are set in that world, and nail it cold."

    You beat me to it.

    "few are the places and cultures in the first world as inherently noir as Hollywood"

    Which raises an interesting question: What are the great hardboiled and/or noir Hollywood novels?

    Mark