RARA-AVIS: Re: Capturing Cooperman

From: Kevin Burton Smith (kvnsmith@sbcglobal.net)
Date: 08 Jul 2008

    On Jul 7, 2008, at 5:52 AM, rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com wrote:

    > Hello All,
    >
    > I thought I would pass along the fact that tonight at 8 p.m. on Bravo
    > (at least in Canada) there is a one hour documentary called CAPTURING
    > COOPERMAN all about Howard Engel and his Benny Cooperman series. It
    > apparently will focus on his return to crime writing following
    > suffering a stroke.
    >
    > Could be quite interesting...

    I'll say.

    The backstory of Engel's last Cooperman, THE MEMORY BOOK, is even better than the book itself, and possibly the best example of writerly true grit I've heard in years. Forget boozing, cussing, climbing mountains to shoot tigers or posing in a leather jacket with 43 guns to prove how tough they are -- let's see these little boy poseurs try and pull a Howard.

    Not that the Cooperman books are truly hard-boiled, at least by the sliding standards of this list -- (his character was played by Saul Rubinek on TV, after all) but I've always felt there was an underlying toughness to the character just dying to be really explored...

    I'll have to keep an eye out for CAPTURING COOPERMAN on Bravo! down here.... but in the meantime, bookedtv has a new interview with Engel at http://www.booked.tv/html/podcast/choose5.htm

    How was the show?

    Kevin