RARA-AVIS: Noir Originals

From: Allan Guthrie (allan@allanguthrie.co.uk)
Date: 05 Jul 2008

    Recent additions that might be of interest:

    Cameron Hughes's interview with Steve Alten focusing on his new political thriller, The Shell Game, "a cautionary tale about the end of oil and the next 9/11, an event, already being planned", that's provoked some extreme reactions. "I was harassed by a disinformation group that feared the book's success. So they sent a few warning shots over my bow. Like publishing photos of my home on blogs, my address, my private unlisted phone number, my wife's name, my personal e-mails..." http://www.allanguthrie.co.uk/Jun08/Steve%20Alten.htm

    Rob McClure Smith's interview with Tom Franklin, fine writer of
    'southerns'/industrial gothic (or even rural noir). Talking of his childhood:
    "We did everything but snakes. Church in our house, speaking in tongues, raising of hands, the Holy Spirit, healings, book burnings, exorcisms. After being asked to leave the Baptist church, my parents and some of my aunts and uncles built a church in the country and were ultimately kicked out of it. Long weird story." http://www.allanguthrie.co.uk/Jun08/Tom%20Franklin.htm

    And an excellent piece by Jay Jeff Jones: 'Lost City, The Las Vegas of John O'Brien and Hunter S Thompson'.
    "O'Brien described Leaving Las Vegas as a suicide note, as much as saying this in a call to his New York agent Ray Powers only days before he shot himself." http://www.allanguthrie.co.uk/Jun08/Lost%20City.htm

    Al