RARA-AVIS: an odd recommendation

From: demack5@comcast.net
Date: 04 Jul 2008

    It's not genre fiction, and the prose is somewhat showy, but has anyone on the list read SPECIAL TOPICS IN CALAMITY PHYSICS? It's a great story, if you can get past the way the author crams metaphors on the page like rush hour commuters onto a subway train and the way she peppers her prose with citations (some of which double as metaphors, if you can picture that).

    The reason I bring it up at all is that, at its heart, it's an extremely well-plotted mystery, with a tragic event that sets the protagonist off on an investigation, leading to a series of revelations that basically pull the rug out from under her. While the book clearly isn't pulp fiction, the final revelation, I would argue, at least borders on noir.

    I'd love to hear from anyone else who's read this.

    Debbi

    --
    Debbi Mack
    IDENTITY CRISIS