Re: RARA-AVIS: Gehman's DRIVEN...

From: Jeff Vorzimmer (jvorzimmer@austin.rr.com)
Date: 02 Jul 2008

    > Has anyone read this novel? I'd heard of it in passing once or twice
    > before, but had never sought it out and am now thinking perhaps I should.
    > For a "noir classic" it seems to have kept a pretty low profile.

    It's very good, yes. A noir classic, no. I believe it's the only novel Gehman ever wrote. Everything else I've seen by him is non-fiction. I recently picked up a book he wrote on Sinatra and The Rat Pack. The first biography of The Rat Pack I think. Haven't gotten around to reading it.

    But, anyway, Driven is one of those novels that's highly praised, but difficult to find. It seems the harder a good book is to find, the more it's praised.

    Jeff