RARA-AVIS: Gehman's DRIVEN...

From: Ron Clinton (clinton65@comcast.net)
Date: 02 Jul 2008

    I finally got around to reading THE FINE ART OF MURDER, and was intrigued by the following statement by George Tuttle:

    "The best remembered of these super-size [Gold Medal] novels was the noir classic DRIVEN by Richard Gehmen (sp). Dick Carroll thought so much of this book that he made arrangements to have the book published simultaneously by the hardcover publisher David McKay. For publicity, Gold Medal and David McKay jointly gave a cocktail party on April 1, 1954, to celebrate [its release]."

    Has anyone read this novel? I'd heard of it in passing once or twice before, but had never sought it out and am now thinking perhaps I should. For a "noir classic" it seems to have kept a pretty low profile.

    Ron C.