Re: RARA-AVIS: Chapters

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 02 Jul 2008

    Capn Bob wrote:

    "If someone wants to get cute and literary and eschew chapters (as well as punctuation, capitals, paragraphs, etc.), be my guest. I won't read it."

    Sounds like Selby's Last Exit to Brooklyn. But somehow, he pulled it off.

    But I'm with you in general. I like chapters, with or without number of title, long or short, but more than just a few spaces (though those are fine within chapters). I see the spaces as the scene breaks and the chapters as commercial or episode breaks. That's how Michael Koryta uses them in the book I'm currently reading, A Welcome Grace, for instance

    I think the best chapter breaks have at least a little bit of a cliffhanger, make it hard to stop, make you think, sure, it's late, but maybe I have time for just one more chapter, then another, . . . Or they give you a little added incentive to pick it up gai the next day. Plus as someone (I think Patrick) wrote, they give you an opportunity to pause and digest.

    Mark