Re: RARA-AVIS: How important are chapters?

From: Allan Guthrie (allan@allanguthrie.co.uk)
Date: 01 Jul 2008

    As a reader, I don't mind at all. I'm perfectly happy to accept the convention. As a writer, latterly I've tried to avoid numbering chapters because, as you say, Rob, it's pointless. Perhaps if we counted backwards there'd be some sense to it -- you'd know you were getting closer to the end and there might even be some associated tension as a bonus. But counting forward to a random number? Page numbers already do that. I did use numbered chapters in one book, but I can't say I had much of an opinion on the matter at the time so never gave it any thought. In another book, I gave each chapter a short, meaningful title instead, but my editor convinced me that there were too many chapters for it to work, so the headers never made it to print. I can't think of a good reason for incrementally numbered chapters. Although that's not to say there isn't one.

    Al

    ----- Original Message ----- From: "Rob Kantner" <rob@9sg.com>