Re: RARA-AVIS: Disturbing Novels

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 30 Jun 2008

Patrick wrote:

"Funny this topic should come up just when I found a copy of THE GETAWAY by Jim Thompson. . . . Talk about disturbing: the graphic description of a beautiful young woman buried alive and that's just one of the disturbing parts. Absolutely made my skin crawl... literally!"

I had never realized I have a touch of claustrophobia until I read this book, the scene where Carol hides in the little underwater cave and gets caught when she tries to sit up. I read the book over a decade ago, close to two, and that scene still pops into my mind and gives me shivers.

"Now I have to find the Steve McQueen movie made from it. Great book!"

Indeed it is. The movie's good, but it's pretty orthodox compared to the book, especially the ending.

Mark