Re: RARA-AVIS: The Black Moon

From: Mark R. Harris (
Date: 28 Jun 2008

A famous example of this approach is The Whole Family: A Novel by Twelve Authors (including William Dean Howells and Henry James) (1908):

Another such novel of that era, The Sturdy Oak (1917), was edited by Elizabeth Jordan and includes a chapter by Mary Heaton Vorse -- both contributors to The Whole Family:

The Affair at the Inn (1904) was by four authors:

Here is an interesting web-page about literary collaborations:

On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 3:54 PM, Nathan Cain <> wrote:

> Browsing my neighborhood used bookstore today I came across a book
> called The Black Moon, which is a collaboration between Loren
> Estleman, Ed Gorman, W.R. Philbrick, Robert Randisi and L.J. Washburn
> (This is the pseudonym James Reasoner and his wife use writing
> together, isn't it?). It appears each author wrote a section of the
> book. It looks like an interesting idea. Has anyone else read it? The
> cover promises "A Spectacular New Direction in Mystery." Was this a
> one off, or were there more books of this sort?

Mark R. Harris
2122 W. Russet Court #8
Appleton WI 54914
(920) 470-9855