RARA-AVIS: Coming Distractions

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@sbcglobal.net)
Date: 28 Jun 2008

Patrick (who else?) wrote, about BUS STOP:

> I don't like the film that much, Kevin. I just prefer Marilyn's
> DEBUT to Lauren Bacall's. That was my original point. I also get a
> kick out of watching you take yourself seriously.

Well, at least that's one more than takes you seriously.

Now you're trying to convince us of the imaginary "cold grey underbelly" of BUS STOP, which is -- as people have pointed out -- one of Monroe's very last flicks. And it wasn't even her first starring role, and certainly not her "debut." It followed several other films where she got lead or co-lead billing, including NIAGARA (1953), which actually could be considered "noir."

By gad, you are a character, sir.

Next up: The "Cold Grey Underbelly" of H.R. Pufnstuf, and Why Travis McGee is "Just Like" Ted Bundy

Kevin