RARA-AVIS: The Breaking Point (Calling our man Beaver)

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@sbcglobal.net)
Date: 26 Jun 2008

On Jun 26, 2008, at 6:02 AM, rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com wrote:

> Bacall's debut is great, no argument there. And Walter Brennan is
> good, too. The film itself is disappointing all-in-all. I often feel
> compelled to re-watch CASABLANCA at frequent intervals. Does
> Bacall's fledgling flight draw you back to TO HAVE AND HAVE NOT?
> Personally, I think BUS STOP's a better movie, and Marilyn's a
> sexier major role debut.

And BUS STOP's such a hard-boiled film too. Can a discussion of Woody Allen's personal life be far away?

But back to things hard-boiled and noir:

Has anyone seen THE BREAKING POINT, the third adaptation of Hemingway's THE KILLERS? It stars John Garfield, and it's supposedly much truer to Hemingway's story. And, according to the few who've seen it, a far better -- and darker -- picture. So, of course, it's not available on DVD. Or at least legally.

Wait! Our man Beaver did the IMDB synopsis! Jim, what's the scoop?

Kevin Burton Smith www.thrillingdetective.com