RARA-AVIS: Re: Reading Series in Order?

From: Eric Chambers ( nqexile@yahoo.com.au)
Date: 23 Jun 2008

"jacquesdebierue" jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com wrote,
             James Lee Burke's great Robicheaux series needs to be read in order, I
 would say. It is the story of the protagonist' s life, and later events
 do follow from the previous installments. Burke brings you up to date,
 but he can't tell you everything that happened before.

 And Ellroy's LA Quartet of novels should be read in order, too.

 There are many others, but these two pretty much demand it.

I would nominate Lawrence Block's Matt Scudder, Robert Crais's Elvis Cole and Reggie Mandelson's Artie Cohen books as series that would benefit from being read in order. Series don't need to be read in order though, because the author has to deal with the reality that the reader will pick up the books out of order so they have to be stand-alone, have to work on their own. Exception possibly being Fantasy Trilogys.

--------------------------------- Get the name you always wanted with the new y7mail email address.