RARA-AVIS: Re: Welcome to Sara Gran--Occult noirist?

From: Miss Gran ( misssaragran@gmail.com)
Date: 20 Jun 2008

Thanks again for the nice thoughts. Had I known this would be such an ego boost I would have signed up a long time ago.

Yes, Mark, I very much envisioned dope as a "noir" book when I wrote it, and half the fun was playing with those conventions intentionally.

Patrick wrote: "Josephine Flannigan is one of the least likely heroines I've encountered but the more I learned about her the more I was drawn into her story. I think it was a very challenging decision to make the protagonist a shoplifter and pickpocket, then slowly give us enough information about her to makes us like her ..."

Thanks patrick, but it was really just stupidity on my end, not rising to a challenge. It never occurred to me that people wouldn't like the character for being a petty criminal or an addict. So it wasn't really cleverness, just sheer dumb luck that it worked out. I know people like josephine and I like them, so I just assumed everyone else would like her, too.

And I'm honored that people cleansed their palettes with wodehouse after reading dope, thank you!

sara

Posted by: " DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net" DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
<mailto: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net?Subject=%20Re%3A%20Welcome%20to%20Sara%20Gran-- Occult%20noirist%3F>

Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:40 pm (PDT)

Hi Sara,

You wrote:

"Come closer: it's funny, I certainly didn't think of it as "noir" when I wrote it. . . . I was glad when people started to call it noir, though, because as most of you know it's much easier to sell a book if you can put it in a category."

I haven't read Come Closer yet, but I have read Dope (which I thought was great, by the way). So I'm curious, did you see yourself as working within noir as you wrote it?

Mark