RE: FW: RARA-AVIS: Masked Detectives?

From: Ron Clinton ( clinton65@comcast.net)
Date: 19 Jun 2008

I love the weird menace and Spicy pulps. Yeah, there was a lot of formulaic dreck in them, but there was a lot of great, fun stories to be had as well.

BTW, if you haven't already picked up Hugh B. Cave's collections MURGUNSTRUMM AND OTHERS, DEATH STALKS THE NIGHT and THE DOOR BELOW, I'd highly recommend you do so. Cave was a prolific pulpster, and these collections reprint many of his weird menace (and others) stories. MURGUNSTRUMM, in particular, is quite good.

For a history of the weird menace pulps, look for SHUDDER PULPS, a terrific overview of this niche field.

Ron C.