RE: RARA-AVIS: Woolrich and a couple other recent purchases

From: Rachels, David ( RachelsDA@vmi.edu)
Date: 13 Jun 2008

On the flip side, I would say that _The Black Path of Fear_ is to be avoided until you've read all the others.

David

-----Original Message----- From: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com on behalf of DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net Sent: Thu 6/12/2008 5:59 PM To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Subject: RARA-AVIS: Woolrich and a couple other recent purchases
  Found a stack of Woolriches in a used bookstore today, picked up every one. I suppose I could go into the archives and reread entries from the recent Woolrich month, but I'm lazy. So would anyone like to recommend any of these more highly than others:

Night Has A Thousand Eyes (as Hopley) I Married A Dead Man (as Irish) Phantom Lady (as Irish) Rear Window and Four Short Novels The Black Path of Fear The Black Curtain Rendezvous in Black The Bride Wore Black (which I've read) Vampire's Honeymoon

All but the last were mid '80s reprints by Ballantine, with similar covers. The last is from Carroll & Graf, who used the same red and black color scheme (though reversed them for title and author), I guess to piggyback on Ballantine's marketing.

I also picked up:

I Am Legend by Richard Matheson The Doomsday Affair, Harry Whittington's entry in the Man from Uncle series (which I read back then, long before I knew who Whittington was; same with Gil Brewer's It Takes a Thief books) Box Nine by Jack O'Connell (for a friend who was intrigued when I described the Quinsigamond series to him)

All opinions on any of the above are welcome and appreciated.

Mark