RARA-AVIS: Re: oCcult PIs

From: Eric Chambers ( nqexile@yahoo.com.au)
Date: 13 Jun 2008

"foxbrick" foxbrick@yahoo.com, wrote,
 Sturgeon was the first and most obvious model for Ray Bradbury, who
 also was fond of such things. Robert Bloch, Robert Arthur, Thorne Smith, L. Sprague de Camp, John Collier, Idris Seabright/Margaret
 St. Clair, Damon Knight, and Algis Budrys among the others who've
 contributed to such traditions.

There would be many here who would know, but some wouldn't, that Bloch, Sprague de Camp, Knight, Bradbury, Sturgeon and Budrys (and others not listed) all wrote for the excellent 'Weird Tales' where most of their work that's relevant to this thread originated. Bradbury wrote for the Saturday Evening Post and his style will always remind me of it. Bradbury wrote like Norman Rockwell drew. Both were geniuses at what they do, but for me there is something irritating and sentimental about both. Sturgeon is often mentioned along with Bradbury.I have to suspect people who do that have never read both. Their themes were similiar, their effect on the reader quite different. Sturgeon's style could be hardboiled and uncompromising. The best of his stories could smack you between the eyes and make you feel like punching him out for setting you up ( as the reader) and letting you walk right into his haymakers. Try 'Bianca's Hands' from the E Pluribus Unicorn anthology to see what I mean.That's probably why they don't teach Sturgeon.He's too challenging, Bradbury is feelgood, so he's safe.

--------------------------------- Get the name you always wanted with the new y7mail email address.