Re: RARA-AVIS: Sturgeon's "Cellmate"

From: jacquesdebierue ( jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 12 Jun 2008

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, DJ-Anonyme@... wrote:

> That's an easy one. Corporations, including media corporations, are
> only open to innovation when the old models cease to be as profitable.
> That's why, traditionally, it was the network at the bottom that has
> tried new things. And now that all of them are taking big hits, they're
> all scrambling for new successful model, be it denser plotting (Lost,
> 24, Seinfeld, etc) or reality shows. A section of the book Everything
> Bad is Good for You discusses the increased complexity in TV (and movies
> and video games, etc).

So, for hardboiled and noir literature that would mean that the sales in general are falling but the public that remains is more demanding? The quality of the product that does get published in those genres is excellent. I don't know what it is, but it's a shift. Perhaps talented writers who wouldn't have written in these genres are now choosing to do so? Anyway, it's good for those of us who do read books regularly. According to an article that appeared in the Atlantic a few months ago, we habitual readers are becoming dinosaurs.

Best,

mrt