RARA-AVIS: Re: occult PIs

From: Kat Richardson ( kathyr136@comcast.net)
Date: 10 Jun 2008

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, DJ-Anonyme@... wrote:

> And I see that your upcoming third deals with Seattle's Underground. At
> I understand it, newer Seattle was literally built on top of Old
> Seattle. What happened, the water table rose? Anyway, this seems like
> a perfect setting for a series that deals with overlapping dimensions.

The city was built on a tide flat and then it burned down. When they rebuilt, the city raised the streets so they could install a sewer that didn't backflush at high tide, but it took a while for them to finish it up, and the business owners couldn't wait. So the original first story (and sometimes more) is below the current street level because the businesses had to get back to doing business long before the city was done with the streets. It's pretty disgusting down there, these days, but, yeah, I agree that it's a lovely place to set a Mystery of multiple relaties.

The head historian of the Underground Tour thought it would be kind of cool to do a mystery about the murder of a Klondike miner whose body is found a century later in the closed Underground, but I didn't have time to write it.

> I'm trying to think of where else I've read about the Underground. I
> think it was probably a Richard Hoyt book that introduced me to it. I
> really liked his PI books, but I kind of lost track of him after reading
> a few of his later espionage books. I think I also read a comic set
> there. A Green Lantern? Possibly one by Mike Grell?

I'm not sure, alas.

Kat