RARA-AVIS: Re: Richard Matheson

From: foxbrick ( foxbrick@yahoo.com)
Date: 10 Jun 2008

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, DJ-Anonyme@... wrote:

> I noticed five Matheson books, "from the author of I Am Legend," in
the
> grocery store today, from Tom Doherty Associates. None of them
looked
> to be among his crime novels, but I still thought I'd check if any of
> thse are recommended:
>
> The Beardless Warriors
> Earthbound
> The Incredible Shrinking Man
> What Dreams May Come
> A Stir of Echoes (basis of the Kevin Bacon film?)

Yes, to answer your final question...for no good reason, the film is called STIR OF ECHOES (no article). THE SHRINKING MAN (retitled in this edition for the film?) and WHAT DREAMS MAY COME also filmed, and the former parodied at least once, as the Lily Tomlin vehicle THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING WOMAN (some improbable person is slated to star in a "comic" remake). THE BEARDLESS WARRIORS a war novel, unsurprisingly--Korea, iirc. I've yet to read any of these, but it was nice to see they are being offered at a discount price, together, in dump-in bins in B&Ns, and I guess also in supermarkets, along with less-discounted sets of western-fiction legend Elmer Kelton's novels.

Todd Mason