Re: RARA-AVIS: occult PIs

From: Patrick King ( abrasax93@yahoo.com)
Date: 10 Jun 2008

If you think the movie is underrated, read the book! If you have any interest in the occult sciences Hjortsberg must have researched for years to have all this obscure and accurate information he pours into that book. I'd say it is the best occult novel I've ever read including MOONCHILD and DIARY OF A DRUG FIEND. Crowley presents interesting characters and information, but his stories are flimsy. FALLING ANGEL is tight as a drum with a creepy and satisfying ending. I followed Hjortsberg's work after that, but his other books are contrived by comparison.

Patrick King