RARA-AVIS: Re: occult PIs

From: Kat Richardson ( kathyr136@comcast.net)
Date: 10 Jun 2008

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "ssshapir" <ssshapir@...> wrote:

> I'm surprised no one has mentioned John Constantine.
>
> The JC of the 'Hellblazer' and 'Swamp Thing' comics not the Keanu
> Reeves abomination from the movie.
>
> Although he isn't exactly a PI he is a kind of 'paranormal
> investiogator'. Created by Alan Moore and Steve Bisette and John
> Totleben he was designed to be a surly, streetwise counterpart to the
> genteel, gentlemanly paranormal investigators that are the norm in
> comics. Most of the stories in 'Hellblazer' are pretty damn bleak.
> London noir with a touch of the paranormal.

Unfortunately they were originally marketed as "horror" comics and that tag is still attached to a lot of them. The character of the stories changed a lot depending on who was writing the scripts at the time. Garth Ennis and Denise Mina's cycles being some of the best of the Mystery lot.

Comics aside, it occurs to me that John Connolly hasn't been mentioned in this topic yet. I'd definitely say Charlie Parker is treading in the occult.

--
Kat Richardson
http://katrichardson.com/