Re: RARA-AVIS: Hardboiled Collection

From: Aldo Calcagno ( mysdawg@sbcglobal.net)
Date: 08 Jun 2008

Tim, I would second this recommendation. All the stories are well written. I love JUANITA. Aldo

 Mystery Dawg http://acalcagno.blogspot.com

Check out my two fictions sites: Powder Burn Flash http://powderburnflash.blogspot.com

Darkest Before the Dawn http://Darknessbefore.blogspot.com

----- Original Message ---- From: Tim Wohlforth < timwohlforth@opendoor.com> To: rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com Sent: Sunday, June 8, 2008 12:14:39 PM Subject: RARA-AVIS: Hardboiled Collection

Please ignore if this new collection has been mentioned on this list.  It certainly should be.

Hardcore Hardboiled, a collection of neo-noir fiction from Thuglit, a  trendsetting ezine edited by Todd Robinson, has just been published by  Kensington Books. The collection includes  stories by Ken Bruen,  Victor Gischler, Duane Swiercynski and others. I am one of the others.

  Otto Penzler says in his introduction, "Mickey Spillane, the  toughest guy anybody knew back in the dark ages of the 1950s, seems  like a weeny of the first rank compared to the guys - and sweet Jesus,  the dolls-  in this collection." He also adds "You have to look hard  to find two consecutive pages that don't deal with sex and violence,  but why would you want to?"

My story is entitled Juanita. Juanita awakens naked in a pool of  sweat. She staggers out of bed, throws on a threadbare pink robe,  shoves her stubby toes into her bunny rabbit slippers, and heads  downstairs. She discovers her husband, Albert, lying on the floor with  a gaping hole in his chest. "Shit," she shouts, "somebody finally got  the bastard. Calls for a drink."

The book is available as a quality paperback at local bookstores and  on Amazon. $14.00.