RARA-AVIS: Crazy about the bird

From: Jack Bludis ( buildsnburns@yahoo.com)
Date: 01 Jun 2008

Patrick King, whose opinions I respect but often disagree with said:

>>People who kill each other over buried treasure are
not well, just like gamblers who murder each other. It doesn't really matter if a jewel encrusted statuette lies hidden in some Greek grotto. This is a work of fiction that explores a certain type of mental illness.<<

I disagree that it is a mental illness, more of a maladjustment based on the obsession to get rich quick.

Gutman and pals, are seriously maladjusted. Mentally ill? To the extent that all of us have obsessions, quirks, beliefs, and drives that are, whether we admit it or not, neuroses when not psychoses. I think most crime fiction explores "certain kind of human beings." Some explores insanity, but not THE MALTESE FALCON. It explores human beings with flaws.

To compare Gutman and his crowd, or even Bridget, to Charles Manson is a stretch.

Jack Bludis