Re : RARA-AVIS: Re: Giallo novels (correction)

From: E. Borgers ( webeurop@yahoo.fr)
Date: 30 May 2008

It seems to me that Yahoo mail is becoming increasingly schizophrenic… Adding signs and letters I never typed to my last messages.
  So the different words for crime novel are Polar (fr) Misdaad roman (dutch)
  Hope not to add to the confusion.
  E. Borgers POLAR NOIR http://www.geocitie s.com/polarnoir

--- En date de : Jeu 29.5.08, E. Borgers < webeurop@yahoo.fr> :

I would like to complete what Todd Mason explained about giallo novels. In fact I do not know much about the films discussed as a category in that thread, but I can confirm about Italian giallo as books: the name "giallo" is a generic name to designate in Italy the detective and crime novels. It came indeed from the yellow color of the covers of a famous local imprint having also Gialli Mandador as name (Mandadori being one of the major Italian publishers; gialli= yellows) and specialized in this lit. long ago (1929). So, in Italy, the word giallio** tends to cover any kind of crime novel. In France it will be "roman policier" that became "polarâ" during the seventies In Germany they are known as krimis** For the Dutch: misdaad romanâ. etc
(**)indicating names created by the colloquial language
  My two yellow coins--

E.Borgers POLAR NOIR http://www.geocitie s.com/polarnoir

Recent Activity

 2 New MembersVisit Your Group

Only on Yahoo! World of Star Wars Meet fans, watch videos & more.

Yahoo! News Kevin Sites Get coverage of world crises.

Drive Traffic Sponsored Search can help increase your site traffic.
.