RARA-AVIS: Re: Giallo

From: foxbrick ( foxbrick@yahoo.com)
Date: 28 May 2008

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "William" <smilliam.wiff@...> wrote:

> The blog
>
> http://groovyageofhorror.blogspot.com/
>
> does a lot of fumetti scans.

Yes, a Finn going by Jaako runs a few panels of the lunatic Italian comix (the drawn kind, rather than the photos with dialog balloons that were the first to have the "fumetti" tag in America) and describes the stories in English. It's a Very Cosmopolitan experience.

> Also (though I'm not sure which titles) I understand that some of
> Edgar Wallace's "Krimmis" were an influence on the filmed giallo.

Yes, the krimis, films based on Wallace's often lunatic novels, were influential on giallo films, even as Wallace's novels were influential on the Italian novels published in yello (giallo) jackets that lent their collective name to the films.

Contrast the Serie Noire and our favorite films onlinst, and so on...

Todd Mason