RARA-AVIS: Re: Noir involving US chattel slavery

From: Richard Moore ( moorich@aol.com)
Date: 26 May 2008

Just read this as I have been offline for a few days. I too am a little puzzled as to why Avram Davidson's CRIMES AND CHAOS has remained out of print when other works by him have been published. I would guess that the mainstream publishers did not see enough sales of the St. Martin collections to justify going deeper into his backlist. The small publishers are typically oriented toward specific genres. CRIMES AND CHAOS being true crime would not fit the list of the SF, fantasy or mystery small press publishers.

I was interested in your statement that THE ENQUIRIES OF DOCTOR ESTERHAZY is Davidson's magnum opus and that MASTERS OF THE MAZE was his most successful novel. I agree with the opinion on the Esterhazy series, wonderfully textured stories, but I thought mine was a minority viewpoint. As to the novel MASTERS OF THE MAZE, I read it when it was a new paperback from Pryamid more than forty years ago and felt it captured an alien viewpoint or strangeness as well as anything I had ever read. I seem to recall that critics of the time felt it began quite well but lost steam by the last half. It is a novel I need to reread.

I don't keep up with current critical opinion very well these days but three decades ago, I think the nominees for best Davidson would have been THE PHOENIX AND THE MIRROR. It was a fine novel but I prefer Esterhazy and Maze. I have yet to read THE SCARLET FIG (how's that for a unmarketable title), the last of the Vergil Magus novels.

Richard Moore