Re: RARA-AVIS: Maltese Falcon

From: James Reasoner ( jamesreasoner@flash.net)
Date: 23 May 2008

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, John Williams <johnwilliams@...> wrote:

> Didn't Harry Whittington write a Mandingo novel?
>
> John

Whittington wrote about a dozen plantation novels under the pseudonym Ashley Carter. Some of these were Falconhurst novels (the setting for MANDINGO), and some were spin-offs about another plantation called Black Oaks, I believe. I've read some of them, and while I don't think they'd qualify as noir, they're certainly grim.

And don't forget WHITE DOVES AT MORNING, James Lee Burke's Civil War novel, which naturally has quite a bit about slavery in it.

James Reasoner