RARA-AVIS: Re: Maltese Falcon

From: Stephen Allan ( steve@stephenallan.net)
Date: 23 May 2008

Spade gay? I think that must be the theory of someone with too much time of their hands.

However, on the issue of the implied sexuality of Gutman, Cairo and Wilma; couldn't that be a tool of the writer? The story was written for the pulps whose audience was mainly men, manly men. At the time, the attitude toward homosexuals was less than positive, to say the least. Perhaps Hammett used people's homophobia as a way to force them to perceive the bad guys as worse than his morally ambigous hero.

But I have to agree that the only innocent is Effie. Everyone else in the novel has their own selfish motive.