Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Maltese Falcon

From: Nathan Cain ( IndieCrime@gmail.com)
Date: 22 May 2008

I recently saw the first version of the film, and I was pretty surprised at how explicit they were with their sexual intimacy. Spade and Brigid kiss, and then the camera cuts to a skipping record, the needle bouncing back and forth in steady rhythm. Huston didn't dare pull anything like that. Overall, I think the first version of the movie may well have been more true to the spirit of the book than the more famous one. In the final scenes of the first version, when Brigid asks Sam if he loves her and he says he thinks so he sounds, as he has throughout the film, entirely insincere. Bogart's performance on the other hand, makes it seem as if he really is torn about his choice to turn Brigid in to the authorities.