RARA-AVIS: Re: Maltese Falcon

From: jacquesdebierue ( jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 22 May 2008

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Patrick King <abrasax93@...> wrote:

> I think a lot of "great literature" from the United
> States in any case, is condemned or at least assigned
> warning label at this juncture. Antisemitism and
> racist stereotypes abound in Hemingway, Fitzgerald and
> Henry Miller (who was, himself, Jewish). Writers from
> this era seem to take it as a given that certian
> people by dint of what they are, not who they are, are
> naturally inferior. Mark Twain, who is often singled
> out as racist, is, as I read it, misunderstood. His
> racism is always ironic and more critical of the
> character making the comment than the one commented
> on. His novel, PUDD'NHEAD WILSON, states as clearly as
> we could wish how absurd he thought segregation was in
> 1894. Twain was also a champion of the openly gay Walt
> Whitman.

I agree. Twain was clearly antiracist and a notorious defender of the equality of all people. That he has become associated with racism is an outrageous perversion of the facts. Reading Twain dispels that stupid notion. I think this myth and subsequent censorship started with the word "nigger" by Twain's characters in Huckleberry Finn, which is written in Southern and reflects the usage at the time.

Isn't political correctness one of the worst diseases to afflict society in the past couple of decades or so? Especially as regards words... and even more so if it's a work of literature. There's some kind of superstition going on. George Carlin has spoken eloquently on this subject.

Best,

mrt