Re: RARA-AVIS: Maltese Falcon

From: Patrick King ( abrasax93@yahoo.com)
Date: 22 May 2008

--- Nathan Cain < IndieCrime@gmail.com> wrote:

> Brigid O'Shaughnessy isn't a misanthrope. She's an
> oppressed figure
> who is forced to use sex to get what she wants
> because it is the only
> power she has. Even the fey Cairo has more status
> than O'Shaughnessy
> does in a male dominated world. Spade is the
> embodiment of a
> misogynist society. He fucks Brigid and degrades
> her, forcing her to
> strip in front of Gutman and company, and, in the
> end, he throws her
> to the wolves.
***************************************************** Hold it right there! O'Shaughnessy came into his office using a fake name. She murdered his partner the first night on the job. Spade knew this from the beginning. Notice what he says to Effie when she sticks up for O'Shaughnessy. O'Shaughnessy was doing everything she could to use and manipulate Spade and he turned the tables on her. Scarlet O'Hara was an oppressed woman in a misogynistic society. Brigid O'Shaughnessy is a sociopath with no conscience. How did she get that way? That's another discussion. Maybe her father raped her. Maybe she was held captive in an opium den in Hong Kong. That's neither here nor there. Spade handled her in the only reasonable and humane way he could to get a complete conviction on the lot of them. Personally, I think she should have met up with Dexter Morgan.

Patrick King