Re: RARA-AVIS: Maltese Falcon

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 21 May 2008

I'm with Mario and John. Spade isn't a particularly nice guy, but I don't think his attitudes towards gays were at all unusual for his times. And it's not like he was targeting random gays. He was beating up those who threatened him and his. Don't think he'd have reacted much differently if it had been a straight man who pointed a gun at him, though he probably would have given him a more "manly" beating, instead of pointedly emasculating him by slapping him and taking away his "gun."

As for gunsel, the Rara Avis site's glossary of hardboiled slang contains Earl Stanley Gardner's story about how Hammett got that word past editor Shaw and into the pages of Black Mask. Here's the direct link:

http://www.miskatonic.org/gooseberry.html

Mark