Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: He's Not Really a Mad Dog; He Just Plays One in People Magazine

From: Nathan Cain ( IndieCrime@gmail.com)
Date: 15 May 2008

I think you're reading something into those comments that isn't there. No one has suggested Ellroy was faking his mother's death or his criminal past. No one would make up his criminal past, which involved pathetic things like burglarizing houses to sniff panties and eating Benzedrex inhalers to get high. It's not the sort of thing someone would make up if they were trying to look tough. I think Ellroy's been remarkably frank about his past, which is to his credit, and I'm pretty sure what was meant in those comments was that Ellroy adopts and over-the-top style in person in much the same way he often times adopts an over the top imitation of 50's tabloid patter in print.