RARA-AVIS: Re: Charles Ardai is a guest on today's NPR FRESH AIR

From: foxbrick ( foxbrick@yahoo.com)
Date: 05 May 2008

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "foxbrick" <foxbrick@...> wrote:

> http://www.npr.org/templates/rundowns/rundown.php?prgId=13
>
> Interviews
> Charles Ardai: Hard Case Shows a Soft Spot for Pulp
> Author Charles Ardai is founder of Hard Case Crime, a publishing
group
> that reprints classic crime fiction and publishes new pulp fiction
in
> paperback editions. Ardai writes under the pen name Richard Aleas
and
> won the Edgar Award for mystery writing.

And eminently worth the hearing (archived at the link above if you can't access it on the radio, or if you can), even if Ardai didn't choose to correct Gross, et al.,'s pseudohip misuse of "pulp" to describe the Gold Medal novels, etc. (I believe Mike Ashley's on this list, and he has elsewhere argued from strength that MANHUNT was a "neo-pulp" for the 1950s, but that's not the sort of usage or argument these clowns are employing. It's Just Kool, doncha know.)

Todd Mason