RARA-AVIS: Re: Street Kings (Is Ellroy Losing his Halo?)

From: jacquesdebierue ( jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 05 May 2008

The Big Nowhere and Clandestine are my favorites, but I do like his earlier novels. They could be categorized as crude, but as a pulp fan
 I am very fond of certain kinds of crudeness. Ellroy just lets it rip. Look at Brown's Requiem, inspired by Ross Macdonald (and dedicated to him, IIRC), and yet it veers off into Thompsonian territory pretty quickly. A marriage of Ross Macdonald and Jim Thompson!

Best,

mrt