RARA-AVIS: David Pierce (Writers who have "disappeared")

From: Jeff Vorzimmer ( jvorzimmer@austin.rr.com)
Date: 04 May 2008

> And what's become of David M. Pierce? He had three pretty fair LA PI
> books
> in the late 80s and then disappeared from the face of the earth.

I knew Dave Pierce back in the 80s and 90s. He always struck me as a dilettante who dabbled in different professions and his novel writing seemed to be just part of a phase he was going through at the time. He was already in his mid- to late-50s when he started his mystery writing career. Interestingly enough I met him at the Fiesta of San Fermin in 1985. He was always dressed in white linen suits and hitting on women half his age (and drunk). I think he's still alive and probably living in Paris. I would bet you a bottle of what we use to call eight pesata wine that he can still be found every July 7 at the Bar Txoko in Pamplona. Just ask for Big Dave (he looks like his PI character). Buy him a drink and he'll tell about his altercation with Hemingway.

Jeff