Re: RARA-AVIS: Comics opinion

From: Stewart Wilson ( stewart@stewartwilson.com)
Date: 04 May 2008

Hi,
 It seems to me you are narrowly defining "manga" based on the vast pre-dominance of the stuff that is published in translation in North America for a mostly juvenile audience. Your descriptions ring true for much of the stuff my daughter reads (she reads Manga comedies about teenage girls mostly), and for scads of stuff she doesn't which I run across at the library and comic book store and which I can happily characterize as cheaply made crap. However, I have read quite a few mangas that were noir which used appropriate artwork for the subject. Drawn & Quarterly published some anthologies last year and the year before, and I've also ready some French-published (in English) anthologies of non-noir manga which had exquisite (and by that I don't mean pornographic) artwork. All of which is to say, I agree with you that the artwork has to fit the genre, but disagree with labeling manga as a non-viable medium for noir stories. Cheers,
--Stewart

--
Stewart Wilson
Toronto, ON