RARA-AVIS: Re: Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@thrillingdetective.com)
Date: 04 May 2008

One of the other things it spoofs so well is action flicks -- the very genre that writer/director Shane Black made his name with.

According to Black in a round of correspondence a few years back, most of his screenplays (Lethal Weapon, Last Boy Scout, The Long Goodnight Kiss or whatever) were his attempts to do private eye stuff, and a lot of the special effects excess (FX XS?) wasn't necessarily his idea. He hinted that a lot of the parody in KISS KISS was his revenge.

Anyway, it's always nice to see someone poke fun at a genre who actually understands it. I'm so tired of hard-boiled "parodies" and
"homages" that start and end with a fedora, a trenchcoat and a babe with long legs.

I'd love to see Black try an actual novel. Or even a straight P.I. film. Maybe GAY PERRY RIDES AGAIN.

Oh, wait, that wouldn't be a straight P.I. flick, would it?

Kevin Burton Smith www.thrillingdetective.com