RARA-AVIS: Pulp stories as plot device

From: harry.lerner@mail.mcgill.ca
Date: 04 May 2008

Hell All,

First, thank-you to everyone who responded to my query regarding PERCHANCE TO DREAM.

Second, over the last several months I have been stocking my bookshelf with several of Bill Pronzini's Nameless Detective stories
(specifically the Paperjacks editions). Among the titles I've picked are BINDLESTIFF, DRAGONFIRE, SCATTERSHOT, HOODWINK and BONES. I've finally gotten around to reading these volumes and my first selection, purely at random, was HOODWINK.

I'm really enjoying this story with its pulp writing and pulp writers backdrop. As a result, I'm also really looking forward to BONES, which involves a pulp writer and his suspicious death. All of this has peaked my curiosity regarding other hard-boiled or noir volumes that use the pulps, or the publishing world, as a plot device and/or backdrop. I would greatly appreciate any and all recommendations.

Thanks in advance for yet again letting me pick all of your brains!

Best, Harry