RARA-AVIS: Re: Street Kings (Is Ellroy Losing his Halo?)

From: Paul Farrell ( pmf_nz@yahoo.co.nz)
Date: 03 May 2008

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Nathan Cain" <IndieCrime@...> wrote:

> Has Ellroy gone off the rails, and squandered his
> cachet? What say you fellow list members?

I think Ellroy's peak was with THE BLACK DAHLIA and THE BIG NOWHERE. The staccato sentence style he's used to varying extents from L.A. CONFIDENTIAL onwards can occasionally be exhilarating, but is also annoying just as often. That said, I do like AMERICAN TABLOID and THE COLD SIX THOUSAND despite their flaws, and I'm looking forward to the next book in the series (which is apparently going to be called BLOOD'S A ROVER).