RARA-AVIS: Street Kings (Is Ellroy Losing his Halo?)

From: Nathan Cain ( IndieCrime@gmail.com)
Date: 03 May 2008

I have been putting off seeing this movie. There was once a time when I would have rushed out to see anything with Ellroy's name attached to it, and I'm kind of surprised it took so long for anyone to bring it up on this list. It would seem like a movie with an Ellroy penned story would a big screaming deal on a list dedicated to hard boiled crime fiction. It seems, however, to have hardly made an impression on anyone. It wasn't too long ago that Ellroy was the toast of the hard boiled world. It seems to me, like some of the shine has worn off. I know I kind of got sick of him mouthing off about his dead mother, and doing the tortured genius shtick. It began to get unseemly, quite frankly. He suffered a great loss as a kid and had a terrible childhood, but his dwelling on it so much began to make me uncomfortable. It's unsettling to see a grown man work out his mommy issues so publicly. Has Ellroy gone off the rails, and squandered his cachet? What say you fellow list members?