RARA-AVIS: Re:The Golden Age of American Crime Fiction

From: ssshapir ( ssshapir@yahoo.com)
Date: 02 May 2008

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, BaxDeal@... wrote:

> In a message dated 5/1/08 6:52:42 AM, ssshapir@... writes:
>

> > What would you say are the best hardboiled comic book writers of the
> > moment?
> >

> Brian Azzerello, David Lapham, Brian Bendis and Greg Rucka can
clearly work
> in whatever medium they choose. and they all have a criminal bent
>
> Peter Milligan's HUMAN TARGET was a great crime series with deep
> characterizations

Azzarello and Brubaker are definitely within the harboiled tradition. But Milligan's HUMAN TARGET I thought was something special. It was noir, it was a thriller ... but it was also, as is usual with Milligan, something transcendent -- a metaphysical examination of identity. Heady stuff for a 'funny book'.