Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Graphic Novels/Snobbery

From: BaxDeal@aol.com
Date: 01 May 2008

In a message dated 5/1/08 8:29:21 AM, ssshapir@yahoo.com writes:

> David makes a good point. Even when it comes to similar hardboiled
> novels I find I have strange quirks. I will happily pick up an Italian
> noir (may I recommend Carafiglio while I'm here) or a French noir but
> a book set in Spain for some reason doesn't seem all that appealling.
> Totally irrational, I know (and I'm open to suggestions on which
> Spanish noir stands out from the crowd -- just to undermine my own
> thesis)... but there you go.

I forgot to mention E. Sanchez Abuli, whose TORPEDO 1936 is as hardboiled as it gets

the movie A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE is based on a very grisly graphic novel by John Wagner

and speaking of movies, I had trouble finding my copy of ROAD TO PERDITION by Max Allan Collins because I had it filed in my crime fiction shelves rather than with my comics and graphic novels

John Lau

John Lau

************** Wondering what's for Dinner Tonight? Get new twists on family favorites at AOL Food.

( http://food.aol.com/dinner-tonight?NCID=aolfod00030000000001)