RARA-AVIS: Novissimi

From: cptpipes2000 ( cptpipes@hotmail.com)
Date: 01 May 2008

One of the best debuts I've read in a long time was Sean Chercover's BIG CITY, BAD BLOOD, which I read last fall. It begins a PI series set in Chicago and if the debut is any indication, this one has legs.

It has been far too long since his last book, but Rob Reuland's HOLLOWPOINT (2001) was good enough that I read it a second time. SEMIAUTOMATIC (2004) doesn't quite reach those heights, but it is certainly good enough that I hope the series continues.

Now that he's a millionaire screenwriter (and Mr. Amanda Peet), we may not get any more hardboiled novels from David Benioff, but his THE 25TH HOUR (2001) is top shelf.

Ever since reading VIOLENCE, NUDITY, ADULT CONTENT (2002) by Vince Passaro, I've been hoping he'd write another.

Among our own, Duane Swierczynski and Richard Aleas (hee hee) are writing terrific books each time out. I preferred Wheelman to The Blonde, but don't want to provide a spoiler and would recommend either enthusiastically.

Finally, I just finished BEAUTIFUL CHILDREN by Charles Bock. I don't know if, strictly speaking, it is exactly hard-boiled or noir, but it's themes parallel those of many of the books we discuss and it provides a fascinating look at Las Vegas along the way.

As soon as I hit send I'll problem think of a dozen other writers I'll regret leaving out. This is a good time to be a fan of hardboiled and noir fiction.