RARA-AVIS: Re: Just read Perchance to Dream

From: jacquesdebierue ( jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 30 Apr 2008

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, <funkmasterj@...> wrote:

> I didn't even know about this book until the recent discussion. I
just read it yesterday & today.

> It's a quick, easy read, not a bad book. The plot, but not the
prose, was Chandleresque, including how Marlowe did get knocked out, as I recall he did in every Chandler novel. However, I really didn't understand the point of the direct quotes from the Big Sleep mixed in the novel and pointedly all in italics. All they seemed to do is show that Robert Parker isn't Raymond Chandler.

I thought it was better than Poodle Springs, though I've completely forgotten everything that happens in these novels, which I found enjoyable at the time they came out.

Best,

mrt